Minibus Hire with Driver

Minibus hire or Minibus rental V Minibus hire with driver

Group transport is a popular requirement and of great environmental benefit. However there are very tight rules within the UK for driving a minibus, and why minibus hire with driver you need to ensure they meet the right criteria or have the right professional qualification if payment is involved.

We have many enquiries regarding min bus hire, but when we explain the legality and hidden cost associated with mini bus hire the value of our minibus hire with driver is quickly understood.

YES it is possible to drive a mini bus yourself if you meet the criteria below. The fundamentals are very simple – you are responsible for a lot of people within a minibus. Driving a minibus is significantly different from driving a car. A minibus is heavier than a car so stopping is different, cornering and braking characteristics are significantly different being wider, larger and longer than a car.

These vehicles are expensive so be very wary if it seems very cheap – it is obvious that insurance for a potential £70,000 replacement vehicle will not be cheap.

Minibus Rental or Mini Bus Hire Vehicle Only

You might be able to drive a minibus with up to 16 passenger seats using your current car driving licence as long as there’s no payment from or on behalf of the passengers (it’s not for ‘hire or reward’).

Self Drive Mini Bus Hire

You may be able to drive a minibus rental within the UK if the following conditions are met:

  • you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
  • you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
  • you’re 21 or older
  • you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards
  • the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes – or 4.25 tonnes “including specialist luggage or equipment for disabled passengers
  • you’re not towing a trailer

You need to be aware of your mileage and the period of driving that you are doing in one continuous journey and not the periods of rest that you do!

If there is any exchange of money or payment then you need to be very careful, and its your responsibility to check the condition and services of the minibus hired !

PSV (Public Service Vehicle) operator licences

You need a public service vehicle (PSV) operator’s licence to:

  • operate a vehicle for hire or reward (payment or payment in kind) that can carry 9 or more passengers
  • operate a smaller vehicle carrying passengers and charging separate fares for the journey

D1 Licence and Section 19 Permits

To legally drive a minibus for payment or profitable gain you need:-

  • apply for the correct provisional entitlements on your licence
  • find a training centre and book your lessons
  • pass the theory test
  • pass the practical test
  • pass the initial Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (Driver CPC) if you want to drive for a living
  • refresh your skills throughout your driving career.

There really are savings and added value finding a company that provides a minibus with driver, they take all the responsibilities of maintenance and insurance and you have someone driving that does it everyday. They have the professional qualification and experience to provide a happy journey, or have the experience to know how to manage the situation quicker or better if there is a mechanical problem or passengers are feeling unwell.

Please use this form to request a quote right now. It will be instantly received into our standard e-mail system and we’ll respond ASAP (usually within minutes).